Business Meeting Minutes
2. Minutes of the 2004 meeting were approved as distributed.
3. President Ardrey nominated E. Perry Ballard of Brescia College to
be President-Elect and to host the 2007 meeting. By unanimous
vote, Ballard was elected.
4. President Ardrey offered her thanks to all panelists and members attending, to her department and staff at WKU, and to others who helped with organizing the meeting. She noted that we had 51 registered for the dinner, and 78 registered for the entire conference. The largest contingents were from Berea and EKU.
5. Executive Secretary Mike Berheide (Berea College) gave his report, distributed separately.
6. Under new business:
Mike Berheide noted that, currently, the Executive Secretary is the
only person authorized to use our checking and savings account.
In fact, his signature is necessary for just about everything. He
requests that another officer be designated as a signatory as
well. It would be difficult for the President to perform this
role, as that changes every year. The sense of the meeting was
that the Executive Committee should make a recommendation regarding
Discussion took place on the email list distribution -- not enough
people are on the list. Berheide will add the email addresses of
all registered members (who have indicated their addresses) upon
receiving this information from Ardrey, but requests that all members
encourage everyone in their departments to register at the website
Suggestions about how to increase participation at this even were
presented. The general consensus was that the actual numbers
attending seem satisfactory, but that participation by the "major"
schools has been declining of late. Primarily, this seems due to
the fact that attendance and presentation here is not seen as
"counting" by certain administrations. We might be able to
overcome this in part by increasing our presence on the web (e.g.,
advertising our site) and by posting presented papers. Berheide
will post all papers and link them to the on-site program, provided
they are sent to him.
We might also want to establish a separate award for graduate
student papers, parallel to the Hughes Award for faculty. The
Executive Committee will make a recommendation on this by the next
Berheide moved a rising vote of thanks for the great job President
Ardrey did for this year's conference.
7. Joe Gershtenson of Eastern Kentucky University was installed as President for 2005-06, effective at the close of the current conference. The next annual meeting will be planned for March 3-4, 2006, hosted by Eastern Kentucky University.
8. The meeting adjourned at 7:25pm.