Business Meeting Minutes
2. Minutes of the 2002 meeting were approved as distributed.
3. President Goldy nominated Saundra Ardrey of Western Kentucky University to be President-Elect and to host the 2005 meeting. Ardrey was elected.
4. President Goldy offered his thanks to all panelists and members attending, and to the MSU Department of Geography, Government and History and the MSU Department of Women's Studies for their financial support.
5. Executive Secretary Mike Berheide (Berea College) gave his report, distributed separately.
6. Under new business:
a. Berheide proposed that we modify the way in which Hughes Award winners are selected, by requiring the Executive Secretary to solicit papers for consideration. The current system of nomination by panel chairs is not producing candidates. Motion approved.
b. John Heyrman (Berea College) noted that all departments should be encouraged to send undergraduates to participate and present papers for the Rifai Award. In the past few years, it seems that the bulk of the presentations are by students from Berea College and whichever institution happens to be hosting the meeting.
c. Concerns were expressed that the low attendance evident at this year's meeting might be a function of its timing: we are holding the meeting a week earlier than usual, cutting into paper preparation time and interfering with early semester responsibilities. President Goldy noted that this year was a necessary exception to the ordinary scheduling of the meeting for the first weekend in March. Suggestions were made about other possible dates -- all of which were as troublesome as the current standard -- and the sense of the assembly was that we continue to treat the first full weekend in March as our target date.
7. Jon Dalager of Georgetown College was installed as President for 2003-04, effective at the close of the current conference. The next annual meeting will be planned for March 5 - 6, 2004, hosted by Georgetown College.
8. The meeting adjourned at 6:00pm.