1. Abdul H. Rifai Award. This award is for the outstanding undergraduate paper presented at the annual meeting. This yearÕs award will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening.
2. David Hughes Award. This award was created to acknowledge the most outstanding paper presented at the annual meeting by a faculty presenter from a Kentucky college or university. The Executive Committee selects readers to choose the recipient. The award for last yearÕs paper will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening. We had three papers submitted last year, and although all are solid pieces of work, there is a clear winner. PLEASE be sure to give a copy of your paper to the Secretary by the end of the meeting, if you are interested in competing for the award this year.
3. Distinguished Political Scientist Award. This award for retired faculty is made from time to time by vote of the Executive Committee upon nomination by individuals or departments. Past recipients are:
1988 Dr. Amry Vandenbosch, University of Kentucky
1990 Dr. Frederic Ogden, Eastern Kentucky University
1991 Dr. Louis Smith, Berea College
1993 Dr. Jack Bizzel, Morehead State University There still have been no nominees for this award since 1993.
4. The Directory, updated, will be mailed out to all dues-paying members as soon as the changes are made. Anyone else who wants a copy may purchase one.
5. The website is still running at http://www.berea.edu/PSC/KPSA.page.html. A moderated email mailing list will soon be established as well, using a permanent, web-based account. Members with email addresses on file will receive notification of this soon. If you have not been receiving KPSA emailings from me, it is because we do not have your current address on file. Please be sure to let me know your address. You can do so by sending me email at Mike_Berheide@berea.edu.
6. The High School Reach-Out project has simply fizzled out. There seems simply to be no interest out there. Our presumed liaison with the CommonwealthÕs social science representative in the Curricular area has also gone defunct, not for lack of trying at our end.
7. We are still engaged in our Fundraiser (Excel long distance) -- it's an easy way to both save money and support the KPSA. Please give it some consideration: the rates are highly competitive, better than most, and KPSA will receive 5% of all your long distance usage, 7% of any pager usage (and pagers are free). See the Secretary for details.
8. We have yet to discover the dues structure for departments. The information remains buried in archives somewhere.
9. Treasurer's Report. Income from individual dues and meeting registrations for last year's meeting exceeded outlay by a small amount, and this, combined with some donations and interest on our accounts has resulted in our highest balance yet.
Balance 2/1/90 $1,560.65
Balance 2/1/91 $2,021.05
Balance 2/1/92 $1,550.02
Balance 2/1/93 $1,577.67
Balance 2/1/94 $1,126.55
Balance 2/1/95 $1,442.65
Balance 2/1/96 $1,690.87
Balance 2/1/97 $2,079.87
Balance 2/1/98 $2,384.96
Michael Berheide, Executive Secretary