1. Abdul H. Rifai Award. This award is for the outstanding undergraduate paper presented at the annual meeting. This year's award will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening..
Participation has dropped off a bit from last year -- only three students from two institutions have submitted papers and made presentations. Let's all encourage greater participation next year at Louisville.
2. David Hughes Award. This award was created to acknowledge the most outstanding paper presented at the annual meeting by a faculty presenter from a Kentucky college or university. The Executive Committee selects readers to choose the recipient. The award for last year's paper will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening.
Again, participation has dropped off. Even after a separate mailing by the Secretary, no additional papers were submitted. PLEASE be sure to give a copy of your paper to the Secretary by the end of the meeting.
3. Distinguished Political Scientist Award. This award for retired faculty is made from time to time by vote of the Executive Committee upon nomination by individuals or departments. Past recipients are:
1988 Dr. Amry Vandenbosch, University of Kentucky
1990 Dr. Frederic Ogden, Eastern Kentucky University
1991 Dr. Louis Smith, Berea College
1993 Dr. Jack Bizzel, Morehead State University
There have been no nominees for this award since 1993 -- Jack is just too tough of an act to follow.
4. The Directory, updated, will be mailed out to all dues-paying members as soon as the changes are made. Anyone else who wants a copy may purchase one.
5. A website for the KPSA has now been established at http://www.berea.edu/PSC/KPSA.page.html -- all are encouraged to access it for "late-breaking news...." Eventually, there should be a member chat board and directory available for dues-paying members. This will obviate the need for a LISTSERV.
6. The High School Reach-Out project has not proceeded at the hoped-for rate: of 20 letters and phone calls by the Secretary, not one has been returned with an expression of interest. We have established liaison with the Commonwealth's social science representative in the Curricular area, so something may yet come of that.
7. The Fundraiser (Excel long distance) is equally unsuccessful. So far NO ONE has agreed to try the service. Please give it some consideration: the rates are highly competitive, better than most, and KPSA will receive 5% of all your long distance usage, 7% of any pager usage (yes, we can sell you a pager, too!). See the Secretary for details.
8. The Membership Structure approved at the Louisville meeting a couple of years ago has yet to be implemented. Beware! Departments will be asked to pay dues, as soon as we can remember what we agreed on.
9. Treasurer's Report. We did pretty well this past year, thanks to a successful meeting at Berea, and some very much appreciated gifts. Total checking and savings as of 2/1/97 was $1,804.87. Including $275.00 in outstanding refundable deposits brings our total assets to $2079.87, and this figure includes expenditures for postage and printing of -$171.73
Balance 2/7/89 $1,564.28
Balance 2/7/90 $1,560.65
Balance 2/7/91 $2,021.05
Balance 2/7/92 $1,550.02
Balance 2/7/93 $1,577.67
Balance 2/7/94 $1,126.55
Balance 2/7/95 $1,442.65
Balance 2/1/96 $1,690.87
Balance 2/1/97 $2,079.87