KENTUCKY POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION
2009 Annual Meeting
March 6, 2009
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY'S REPORT
1. Abdul H. Rifai Award. This award is for the outstanding undergraduate paper presented at the annual meeting. The 2008 award went to Anita ("Beth") Coleman of Berea College. This year's award will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening.
2. David Hughes Award. This award was created to acknowledge the most outstanding paper presented at the annual meeting by a faculty presenter from a Kentucky college or university. The Executive Committee chooses the recipient. The 2008 award went to Dr. William Garriott of Centre College. This year's award will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening.
3. Distinguished Political Scientist Award. This award for retired faculty is made from time to time by vote of the Executive Committee upon nomination by individuals or departments. The 2008 award was presented to Dr. Abdul H. Rifai of Berea College. Past recipients are:
1988 Dr. Amry Vandenbosch, University of Kentucky 1990 Dr. Frederic Ogden, Eastern Kentucky University
1991 Dr. Louis Smith, Berea College
1993 Dr. Jack Bizzel, Morehead State University
1999 Dr. Malcolm Jewell, University of Kentucky
2000 Dr. J. Allen Singleton, Eastern Kentucky University (posthumous)
2005 Dr. George Massanat, Western Kentucky University 2007 Dr. Larry Matheny, Centre College
4. Progress on Action Items:
A. Investment Account Report
B. KPSA Journal Report
5. Treasurer's Report. The Executive Secretary is now in charge of finances and reports our latest balance:
Balance 2/1/09 $7,042.73
Balance 2/1/08 $5,596.11 Balance 2/1/07 $4,396.06
6. 2008 Annual Meeting Report
Total attendance was 49 and receipts were $804 and expenses were $587.25.
Michael Hail, Associate Executive Secretary