KENTUCKY POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION
2008 Annual Meeting
February 29 – March 1, 2008
Executive Secretary’s Report
- There were no action items from last year’s meeting.
- KPSA 2007 meeting at Morehead State University was very successful.
Special thanks to KPSA president Michael Hail and his staff.
85 total attendees
49 faculty and professionals
Total receipts $2,692.00
(covered by MSU IRAPP)
Net KPSA $2,371.00
- The KPSA Pay Pal account is closed. The account balance of $1772 was transferred to US Bank.
- On June 22, 2007, the KPSA executive committee met at Berea College.
In attendance were Saundra Ardrey, Michael Berheide, John Heyerman and Michael Hail. Joe Gershtenson, caught in a monstrous traffic jam, was a bit frustrated and unable to attend.
- It was suggested that the Association set up a money market account for a “KPSA Award Fund” and a second money market “Publication Fund” account. The executive secretary was to find something very liquid, at least 5% return. Municipal bonds was one suggestion. This will be done after the 2008 receipts have been settled.
- Outgoing executive secretary Mike Berheide turned over the box of KPSA archives to incoming executive secretary Saundra Ardrey. Mike Berheide will transfer ownership/control of the KPSA website and domain name to Michael Hail who is to renew the license for the domain name each year.
- Executive committee members selected the person for the Distinguished Political Scientist Award for the 2008 meeting.
- The 2009 meeting will be at Centre with Ken McIntyre as the current president-elect; 2010 will be at University of Louisville with Jason Gainous presiding. Saundra volunteered Western Kentucky University for the 50th anniversary celebration, president TBA. (See #5 below for changes to the schedule).
- Saundra and Michael Hail are to start after the 2008 meeting to increase KPSA visibility (press releases, lecture board, possibility of a proceedings journal, etc.)
- Michael Hail discussed the possibility of the Association publishing a peer reviewed journal about Kentucky politics.
- It was agreed that the executive secretary will coordinate activities between annual meetings and act as a liaison for the executive council. The associate executive secretary, Michael Hail, will assist as needed.
- Mike Berheide informed us that each political science department is to have a liaison for KPSA listed on the website.
- Ken McIntyre accepted a job at Concordia University in Montreal for fall 2008; he resigned February 6, 2008 as president elect of KPSA and will not host the 2009 conference. Jason Gainous has graciously agreed to move his tenure up a year and host the 2009 conference at the University of Louisville. The 2010 president-elect TBA.
Saundra Curry Ardrey, Executive Secretary