1. Abdul H. Rifai Award. This award is for the outstanding undergraduate paper presented at the annual meeting. The 2002 award went to Christopher Skye Freeman of Berea College. This year's award will be presented at the dinner meeting this evening.
2. David Hughes Award. This award was created to acknowledge the most outstanding paper presented at the annual meeting by a faculty presenter from a Kentucky college or university. Panel chairs nominate the papers, and the Executive Committee chooses the recipient. Last year's award went to Jane and Glenn Rainey of Eastern Kentucky University. There will be no award given this evening for last year, since no papers were nominated.
3. Distinguished Political Scientist Award. This award for retired faculty is made from time to time by vote of the Executive Committee upon nomination by individuals or departments. Past recipients are:
1988 Dr. Amry Vandenbosch, University of Kentucky
1990 Dr. Frederic Ogden, Eastern Kentucky University
1991 Dr. Louis Smith, Berea College
1993 Dr. Jack Bizzel, Morehead State University
1999 Dr. Malcolm Jewell, University of Kentucky
2000 J. Allen Singleton, Eastern Kentucky University (posthumous)
No award has been proposed recently.
4. Progress on Action Items:
5. Treasurer's Report. At last year's meeting, we had 42 people register, with 35 attending the dinner. We currently have 32 dues-paying members. The Cumberland Inn charged us 976.00 for the whole thing, and Cumberland College graciously picked up 176.00 of that. Our income from the meeting (including dues, registration, dinners and one charitable donation) slightly exceeded outlay. However, 949.60 was paid out to cover the expenses (not billed last year) of the 2001 annual meeting. Counting our other annual expenses (mailings, awards, etc.) and income from account interest, our coffers grew by $358.84 during the Hicks Terror. We're doing just fine.
Balance 2/1/03 $2,900.93
Balance 2/1/02 $3,493.88
Balance 2/1/01 $2,530.28
Balance 2/1/00 $2,290.49
Balance 2/1/99 $2,286.94
Balance 2/1/98 $2,384.96
Balance 2/1/97 $2,079.87
Balance 2/1/96 $1,690.87
Balance 2/1/95 $1,442.65
Balance 2/1/94 $1,126.55
Balance 2/1/93 $1,577.67
Michael Berheide, Executive Secretary