Kentucky Political Science Association
44th Annual Meeting
March 4-5, 2005
Carroll Knicely Conference Center
WKU South Campus
2355 Nashville Road
Bowling Green, KY
Registration: 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. Central Time
Chair: Scott Lasley, Western Kentucky University
1. Phillip Grant, Pace University "The Congressional Campaigns of Anne M. Northup of Kentucky"
2. J. T. Spence, Chatfield College "Perceptions Surrounding the Council-Manager Government Change in Cincinnati"
3. Scott Lasley, Western Kentucky University "Progressive Ambition in the U.S House"
Chair: Edward Yager, WKU
1. Ahpue Sar, Berea College "The Prospects For Democratization in Burma"
2. Caroline Payne, Berea College "A Comparative analysis of Three Twentieth Century Revolutions: Cuba, Iran and China"
3. Diana Freeman, Centre College "An Explanation of Conflict: Ethnicity
Deprivation, and Rationalization"
Discussant: Lorraine Baushke
Chair: E. Perry Ballard, Brescia University
1. Clinton Hewan, Northern Kentucky University "United States Foreign Policy in Haiti"
2. Soleiman Kiasatpour, WKU "Leadership Selection in a Theocracy"
3. Roger Murphy, WKU "Czech Diplomacy: Challenge and Opportunity"
Discussant: E. Perry Ballard, Brescia University
Chair: John Heyrman, Berea College
1. Michael Baranowski and Lauren Petrzilka, NKU "Popular Culture and Political Socialization of College Students"
2. Tracy Burdett, EKU "Bedroom v. Boardroom: Voting Behavior in the 2000 Presidential Election"
Discussant: John Heyrman, Berea College
Chair: Michael Berheide, Berea College
1. Kenneth McIntyre, Campbellsville College "Orwell's Despair: Nineteen Eighty-four and the Critique of the Teleocratic State"
2. John Kang, Western Kentucky University "Defining Insincerity and Hypocrisy"
Michael Berheide, Berea College
Chair: Kentucky First Lady Glenna Fletcher (invited)
Participants: Molly Kirby, WKU Women's Alliance, Saundra Ardrey, WKU Department of Political Science, U of L: Other Participants TBA
Invited – Governor and First Lady of Kentucky
Chair: Soleiman Kiasatpour, Western Kentucky University
Participants: Clinton Hewan Northern Kentucky University
John Petersen Western Kentucky University
Roger Murphy Western Kentucky University
Gregory Gunderson Eastern Kentucky University
Chair: Jeffrey Kash, Western Kentucky University
1. Susan Dehart and Ayumi Hama, EKU "US-Japan Security Alliance"
2. Chris Coffman, EKU "Foreign and Domestic Policy Post 9/11
3. Jennifer Johnson, Morehead State University "Women and African Americans in Antebellum America"
4. Chris Green, WKU "African American Political Thought: Relevance of Booker T. Washington and William E. DuBois in the 21st Century"
Discussant: Jeffrey Kash, Western Kentucky University
Chair: Jo Ann G. Ewalt, Eastern Kentucky University
1. Jack East, Campbellsville University "The Impact of the Environment on Crime Counts in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, its Cities, and Counties: Geomagnetic and Solar-Magnetic Influence on Crime Counts"
2. Jaclyn Susan Opp, U of L "Brownfields Office, Organizational Placement, and Policy Outcomes"
3. Bruce Hicks, Cumberland College "Bureaucratic Politics and the 9/11 Attacks: The Case of the F.B.I. Agent John O'Neill"
4. Marlon Renfro, Northern Kentucky University :Increasing Civic Engagement: Leadership Role for Public Administrators"
Discussant: Jo Ann G. Ewalt, EKU
Chair: Paul Blanchard, Eastern Kentucky University
Participants: Joe Gershtenson, EKU
Jodie Richards, KY House Speaker
John Parker, WKU
Chair: Erik Lewis, Morehead
Participants: Winfield Rose, Murray State, Bill Green, Morehead State
Chair: Jaclyn Susan Opp, U of L
1. Sarah Davasher, "Tobacco Buyout", Western Kentucky University
2. Jacqueline Luttrell, "Terror Potential in the Bluegrass", WKU
Chair: Edward Yager, WKU
Participants: Ron Skillern, Bowling Green High School, Kristina Yager, Bowling Green High School, Other Participants TBA